You are here

New- How much information is best to provide. Need Advice badly!

NVWolff's picture

I am so glad I found this site. I need so much advice it's killin me' I don't want to bore anyone but it's been going on for 8 years.

First question How do I modify a parenting plan and custody plan that has been in place for 8 years.

Do any of you know a bulldog of a lawyer in Northern Colorado or any lawyer that can give me some advice about fighting for fathers rights.

Thanks
So happy to be here!:)

ColorMeGone2's picture

I'm not in your state, but generally speaking, most courts look for a significant change in circumstances before they will entertain a modification of custody, visitation and/or CS. If you're not getting to see your kids per whatever visitation schedule currently exists, if you recently moved and are now closer, if your children are suffering in some way and you think more time with you could help, etc. You almost have to have a reason other than just wanting more time with your kids. A friend of mine recently went through this with her ex-husband. He took her to court to try to get more time and was denied because he couldn't prove that there was a significant change in the circumstances that would warrant a change to the custody agreement. It's really hard to change the status quo if there's no good reason to change it, because courts don't want to upset the routine of the children. And since your children have been with this routine for eight years, well, that's a long time.

Fill us in on the details. Why are you seeking a modification now, after all this time? What's changed since the original agreement?

♥ Georgia ♥

"Good men don't just happen. They have to be created by us women." (from ROSEANNE)