You are here

Off Topic - Adult Kids/Grandkids - Worth the Effort?

Swim_Mom's picture

Whether bio or step, it seems like I read a lot on here about kids who get into teen and adult years, who make little to no effort in their relationships with parents and grandparents. Sometimes this can be due to history of unhappy family dynamics, PAS or whatever, but often it seems like it is just pure selfishness and not bothering. 

For example - my DH has 4 kids - daughters are 27, 24, 21 and son is 15. His daughters live in different states and are successful and self sufficient (21 year old still in college). He has a very good relationship with them and was close to them - I'd say PAS was not really much of a factor - but the oldest 2 rarely call. DH continues to reach out and never 'guilts' them; I'd say this is not that unusual, just a case of growing up and being focused on their lives...but it is just sad to me the idea you raise a child and love and guide them every day, and one day your relationship is a phone call once a month and seeing them a couple hours every year and a half.

My own kids - ages 15, 19 and 20 - were always close to my parents, who live 15 minutes away and are wonderful grandparents. DS19 and DD15 I've noticed over the last couple of years make less and less of an effort to talk. I recently 'ripped them a new one' over this...they take the feedback and yesterday we went over to see my parents (in yard, socially distanced of course) and my younger two made much more of an effort. But I'm saddened and embarrassed I had to say something. Oldest DD20 has been wonderful; going over frequently to see them from a distance during this shitty time of covid. 

So DH and I were talking about this...I was saying, I get that parenthood is not a two way street. I have loved my kids unconditionally and would say in general they are appreciative and respectful. I know that I did not really appreciate my own parents until probably college, and this is totally normal. But once they get to a certain age, I believe it should be more of a two way street. Yes the parents or grandparents might reach out twice, or four times for every time the 'kid' reaches out. But the factor cannot be infinity to zero. 

I'm not saying that I expect my kids to turn their backs on me one day; I've just been thinking a lot about this lately. It seems like a theme on this board is with SM's who put a lot of love and effort into skids for zero in return. To me that is a given and is inevitable, so don't bother putting too much effort into skids. But what about bio-kids and grandkids? I see so many situations of families who were once close, where the adult kids grow up, move away and are rarely heard from - it is depressing. I don't mean to sound cynical, I'm just wondering what others' thoughts and experiences are?

2Tired4Drama's picture

I see the same thing.  The only thing that can change it is when the parent, like you did, "rips" the kids a new one and makes them refocus on others before themselves. 

I've been going to another forum board more often lately and it is very interesting to see the younger generation's (young adult) input on this issue.  Many of them have absolutely no remorse or problem with never calling their parents, grandparents, extended family.  They figure it's up to others to contact them and if they don't have time to talk, or don't want to talk with frequency, then the parents should just back down and leave them alone. 

The fundamental philosophy is, "I am the most important person in my life." so they focus on themselves, their own spouse, their own kids, etc.  Which is understandable to an extent - they are adults and need to build their own lives.  But now, many want to do so being unaffected by anything happening to their own family's older generations.  Most complain when their parents/gparents say something about not hearing from them.  They immediately go on the board and start b!tching about how intrusive and overbearing their parents/in laws are, and ask others on how to set up "better boundaries" so their annoying older family members will leave them alone.  God forbid one of their parents or grandparents need assistance or has health issues which need attention, then it is a HUGE intrusion on their lives. It appears as though it doesn't take much for them to cut off their family and to circle around their own peers.  There are many on that board who are completely estranged from their parents and seem to like it that way.  Out of sight, out of mind, out of their hair. 

IMO, this is a result of children being put on pedestals.  

tog redux's picture

I haven't found this so far in my family, but my siblings have young adult children who are, as is typical for the times, still fairly dependent on their parents. My 26-year-old niece lives on her own with her BF, and she's always been very good about keeping in touch with my mother.

My SS20 is still so enmeshed with BM, I long ago gave up any effort to be anything other than Dad's Friendly Wife - if he has kids, it's way down the road and I don't see DH or I getting attached to them unless SS has a major mindset change.

I do think spoiled and entitled young adults are the ones who do this - and the parents have created and fertilized this attitude in many cases.

beebeel's picture

Parents have been complaing about this for centuries, so it's not a new problem. (What, you don't write? I haven't had a stone tablet from you for years!") Just think how parents felt in the time before cell phones....

I'm 38, so while the memories of college are fading, they aren't completely gone yet. I worked two or three jobs the entire time I went to college. I had a boyfriend and friends I rarely saw due to studying and working so much. I didn't call my parents as much as I should have, but they didn't sit around waiting for me to call, either. I looked to my peers for advice and guidance and relied less and less on my parents. Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

I didn't start putting in an equal effort to keep in touch until I was in my 30s and had my own kid. I think that's the natural order of things. Kids going off into the world or college today are probably even busier. Minimum wage is still the same as it was 15 years ago when I went to school and college costs about twice as much. They are working their asses off and have about 20 minutes of downtime everyday. Now, if you have a severely limited about of time and you are stressed about school and rent and your shitty job, do you spend it blowing off steam with your friends, or do you call your parents whose expectations have been stressing you out since the 90s?

lieutenant_dad's picture

My general view is this:

Most adults make the selfish decision to bring children into this world to fulfill their own desire for family, to leave a legacy, or whatever other reason they have for bringing kids into the world.

For a multitude of reasons, not every child is thankful to be born into this world or feel any sense of having to be part of that biological family structure. They didn't choose to be born. They didnt choose the family they were born into. They just sprang forth as the selfish byproduct of other humans' desires.

I don't think child-parent relationships have to be a two-way street. I think kids SHOULD have the ability to dictate what that relationship looks like with their biological family. That IS the choice they have, and I don't find it fair to hold them to the idea that they should be have to be part of the family.

Parents should work to make the family be something that their kids WANT. And kids at all ages - including adulthood - should be reminded of the benefits that being part of the family bring to them. That also means the family needs to be wantable and inclusive of the progeny they produce, and biases need to be shed.

Basically, the want for a family doesn't trump an individual's right to dictate the type of relationships they have with said family once they become adults. If they aren't as connected or close as hoped, then have a conversation about that. But it seems wholly selfish to expect an independent person to adhere to our selfish wants just because we produced them. That's an unfair burden to put on someone who had no say in the matter. We don't make employees show absolute loyalty to their employer even when they choose their employer and are compensated for that loyalty, so it seems silly to expect it when the kids didn't even get a choice.

tog redux's picture

This is true. My DH has very little contact with his mother - only if we go to visit his hometown to see his brothers. He's pleasant to her then, but he ignores her phone calls and never initiates any with her.

She was emotionally abusive and bordering on physically abusive when he was a kid. He also doesn't ever see his sister - we've been together for 10 years and I've never met her.  He's not estranged, as in - he would speak to her if he saw her, he just doesn't care to have a relationship with her. He does have one with his 3 brothers.

My parents were good parents and we have all stayed in touch regularly.  Some parents and siblings are treated how they deserve to be treated.

Dogmom1321's picture

I think it's a mix. When kids are self-sufficient and grow into young adults, they want to figure things out on themselves. I do think their focus switches on their own lives, relationships, work, etc. 

However, I also think kids who were entitled and spoiled tend to lean this way too. If everything SKs parent does when they were younger was a "prize" or "treat" then why would they be motivated on their own. 

For example, I know DH was guilty of this. When you come back next week, we will do ______. Everything was always to entice SD. Well, when they grow up and they have no motivation to "get anything" out of the relationship, I think SK naturally pull away. Their mindset is "what's in it for me?" Sad but true, when you raise brats.

beebeel's picture

In my experience, contact between young adults and parents varies for many, many reasons. Those I have known to remain in constant contact with their parents are often those who are still very dependent or enmeshed with them. I have a really close relationship with my dad, but I was 98 percent independent immediately after high school. (He helped pay for my books one semester and he'd send me grocery store gift cards now and then). We chatted every month or so and only saw each other around the holidays for several years. We can sit and talk for hours these days.

My bff's sister calls their dad every other day. She's always hitting him up for handyman favors or breaks on their mortgage (daddy bought their house). She is in her mid-30s, married, with 4 kids. She routinely tells me she can't stand him. He's not a great dad, to be fair, but they talk/interact far more with each other.

The level of contact between parent and adult children is not a clear indicator of the closeness or health of the relationship.

Crspyew's picture

We have made self focus an art form.  I raised two fully formed heathy humans who chose to have a relationship with me and their surviving grandparent.  We spend time together and individually.  Both my kids will call me or DH just to chat or ask for input on home repairs or things of that nature.  DHs kids -the boys call regularly his daughter?  If he didn't call her he'd never hear from her. But this is the result of how she was parented.  Both her mom and dad let her ignore them until she needed $$. 

still learning's picture

i haven't seen my mom in person in 14 years.  We talk 1 or 2 times a month but travel has been an issue. I've always had a small herd of children and she doesn't drive or feel safe traveling alone.  If I visit her I have to stay in a hotel since she has no place to put me up.  The time, cost of travel, then lodging has deterred our visit for years.  I4 years ago I flew her and my younger brother in to see me and the visit ended badly. She blew up after a few days and wanted me to send her back earlier.  

I'll probably travel to see her in the future but it will be a short visit and on the way to somewhere else.  Is it worth it?  Not all families remain close when they are it seems like the parents are the main factor in brining all the kids together, celebrating holidays, vacationing... Divorce doesn't help.  It makes it harder for kids to reach out to two sets of parents rather than one.  

Swim_Mom's picture

...is when the opposite happens - people with horrible parents who still remain loyal and try to please. I have a good friend who is in her late 40's and has freely admitted that her mom should never have been a parent. Yet she still tries and caters to that evil old woman. I just don't get it. To me children are a gift, and so are parents. I love my parents dearly and feel so lucky to still have them both with me. Love my kids dearly too. I don't understand how in a normal situation - i.e. not abuse, no PAS etc. people could let an important relationship like parent-child just fade away. I've always looked at it as, I can have as many friends as I want, but I only have one Mom! I guess that is what my friend thinks; the difference is, her mother hardly deserves it and some who surely do, are ignored by their grown children. It is sad.

shamds's picture

Personality borders on abuse with the odd touch of praise very rarely and its part of the narc trait to treat people that way and the constant abuse just pushes some to move mountains to gain that almost impossible praise from that parent